You must not panic when you see above mentioned issue during the process of ArcGIS license-claiming from ArcGIS License Manager 9.3. This is a software bug mostly observed in all level of ArcGIS software ver9.3; earlier releases of this software did not observe this problem but following mentioned all levels observed this issue.
- ArcGISArcEditor 9.3
- ArcGIS – ArcInfo 9.3
- ArcGIS – ArcView 9.3 & 9.3.1
- ArcInfo Workstation 9.3
All of the above software modules observe this problem while operating on following Windows Operating systems.
- Windows 2000
- Windows XP
- Windows 2003 Server
This bug is identified by the ID ‘NIM037135’ and FlexNet licensing error ID “-15,570” which is shown in the error report/message returned against licensing request to the server. Following error message is returned with related details:
The name of the server and license path may vary as per network configuration. The error numbering scheme will be -15 and followed by 570 after comma; this is ArcGIS error reporting format.
Reasons for error:
This happens mostly in following two conditions when network/concurrent licensing scheme for ArcGIS is implemented.
- The connection between server and license requesting machine is through VPN.
- The connection is either Dial-up or a slow ISDN/DSL one.
There is a stepwise process to resolve this issue of the software through modification of the environment variables in the Windows operating systems. The network or server client messages take certain time to process and reach at their destinations. Therefore, the waiting time of the program for communication response to reach is set a bit larger to resolve this issue on the windows OS. Stepwise procedure is given below:
- Right click My Computer and choose properties.
- On system property dialogue box choose advanced tab.
- Click on the environment Variables
- On environment variable dialogue box choose system variables field and hit the new button
- A new system variable dialogue box with two fields appears; put “FLEXLM_TIMEOUT” in variable name and put 1000000 in variable value field
- .Click OK on all three dialogue boxes to close them
- Launch the ArcGIS 9.3 program
If the problem still persists then, repeat above mentioned procedure with an increase the variable value in the multiples of 1000000 micro seconds and reach to the value which gives you satisfactory communication results.