What is OpenLM ?
OpenLM is a comprehensive license-management solution, designed to monitor and optimize the usage of concurrent (‘floating’) license software. OpenLM is capable of monitoring a wide variety of license managers, e.g.: FlexNet (FlexLM), Sentinel RMS, and DSLS.
Who was OpenLM Designed For?
Unlike other license management systems that only offer administration and license monitoring statistics, OpenLM also optimizes license usage in a unique manner that provides all personnel with useful license-related functions.
- Know what you have: License inventory.
- Plan license maintenance and procurement of expensive licenses.
- Charge projects or business units for software usage time.
- Cut costs by dropping maintenance for licenses that are no longer in use.
- Real time usage management and troubleshooting.
- Extract license usage statistics information and patterns.
- Roles and Permissions: Grant licenses according to specific Users’ permissions.
End User View:
- End users are not kept in the dark. They are informed about the status of denied licenses, and receive a License availability notification when a license becomes vacant.
- Who is using the license I need, and what are this person’s contact details?
- OpenLM interfaces a wide variety of license managers. Here is a list of them.
- Concurrent monitoring of multiple license servers on multiple time zones.
- Management of Floating, Node-locked and Borrowed licenses.
- Detection of idle sessions, and retrieval of idle licenses.
- Easily review license inventory in real time.
- Extract license activity reports (e.g. Flexnet report), with configurable resolution.
- Operational over WAN and LAN networks.
- Interface license managers that run on UNIX, Linux, or Windows’ Operating systems.
- Web-based user interface, applicable on any major browser.
- Mobile interface application enhances monitoring abilities for system administrators.
- OpenLM supports both external and embedded databases.
What does “Open” in “OpenLM” stand for?
OpenLM provides a set of open and documented APIs that enable customers and business partners to develop applications that integrate OpenLM software capabilities.
Watch the OpenLM EasyAdmin screenshots on the OpenLM site.
Want to evaluate the software ?
You can get the most updated version of OpenLM from our OpenLM downloads area. After filling in your name and email – you’d be directed to the downloads’ section. The Installation process is easy and straightforward, but if you still need any assistance – please send an email to support at openlm.com, and we’ll be glad to help.
Please follow and like us:
As the economic condition continues to falter, the rate of software compliance auditing rises. This is caused by rising pressure in companies to use unlicensed software on one end, and equivalent pressure on the side of software vendors to keep their revenue. According to BSA (Business Software Alliance) officials, the current economic climate “could have an impact on companies cutting corners and using unlicensed software to save perceived-costs”. This in turn leads the BSA step up license compliance enforcement and litigation against violators.
As a tool dedicated for the monitoring of licensed applications, OpenLM perfectly fits in the capacity of keeping BSA officials content, and CEOs of software using companies relaxed.
Ensuring license agreement compliance.
Software vendors use several methods in order to ensure license compliance.
Inside information: Violation reports are routinely submitted to the BSA by insiders. These are individuals with inside information, that report violation of license usage for various reasons. The BSA’s response to such referrals would normally be a letter to the suspected violator, indicating that an investigation is taking place and offering to give up litigation action if a compliance audit is conducted. If the compliance audit is conducted, the company must provide a list of all the software in question, as well as the purchase dates of the software licenses.
Piracy business intelligence may be collected by the software and gathered by the vendors in order to pinpoint license violations.
End-User License Agreements: Large vendors may have the ability to conduct software audits for their software for license compliance purposes according to their End User License Agreements.
Pressure builds up
When the time comes for an unexpected external audit, or when the expiration of a license is closing in, companies tend to rush IT personnel to take manual inventory of existing software. This process is inefficient for several reasons:
It is an error prone process, mainly in large companies that run hundreds of licensed applications. Moreover: employees don‘t necessarily act in compliance with license agreements.
It is also inefficient. It consumes system administrators’ time and concentration, and may raise tension within the organization.
Continuous monitoring is needed
In order to ensure full compliance and peace of mind, organization executives should enforce formal, ongoing software license management policies. This is where OpenLM comes in into the picture:
Having an organized license usage report reduces the risk of an external audit, and serves as an insurance policy against the consequences of liability actions by the BSA.
Organized reports may also improve a company’s position, and have benefits when negotiating with a vendor for license renewal.
En-route the organization of software inventory, license activity is made apparent, and software costs are reduced.
IT personnel are taken off the mundane, but error prone procedure of manual inventory taking, and their productivity is increased.
Software License Audits: What Does It Mean to Be Non-Compliant?
Please follow and like us: